Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Religion vs Relational Life

Here is something a little meatier from "my documents" folder.

Religion conforms people to a system; relational life frees them to trust God.

Religion divides people by preference and perspective; relational life celebrates the incredible diversity in God's family.

Religion bores people with routine; relational life is as fresh as a new conversation with an endearing friend.

Religion rewards image and pretense; relational life demands honesty and reality.

Religion provides substitutes for the active presence of Jesus in people's lives; relational life focuses on that presence alone.

Religion sacrifices people for the good of the institution; relational life teaches people how to live together as Father's family.

Religion uses what God says and does for its own agenda; relational life allows God to set the agenda and for us to simply follow him.

Religion leaves us able to boast about how much we're doing or how hard we're working; relational life finds joy only in celebrating God's work among us.

Religion finds love inefficient and cumbersome; relational life embraces love as the heart of God's working.

"Expectations are resentment waiting to happen."
Anne Lamott in Crooked Little Heart

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, what do you think of all this?...

missy said...

Annie, I love this. I have had so many of these thoughts running through my head lately. Have you read "The Shack" yet? I'm half way through it. It's a very interesting read and talks a lot about our relationship with God.

Would love to hear your adoption story too. Why don't you do the Red Letters Adoption Journal with me? We need more showing from Liberia :o)

Love,
Missy

Annee said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Annee said...

I had to delete my own comment because parts of it were incoherent. So here it is again.




So first of all I am not to fond of anonymous comments. I like to know who it is I am talking to :)

FYI If I don't like something I am not going to post it with out letting you all know I don't like it.

So here are a few of my thoughts on what I posted. So with anything like this there is the issue of what exactly does the author mean by "religion" versus "relationship"? One is left to infer by what follows. I do not think that Jesus came to establish a religion. He never wanted to be put into a box of doctrinal beliefs or religious practices. After all He didn't have much good to say to the religious folks of his day (the Pharisees). I believe that God wants us to live in relationship with Him and other believers. This relationship is meant to be alive and organic and is NOT going to look the same for all that follow him. Now before you all think I have gone all universalist.. I haven't. I just think that the non negotiable list is small, small.

Take for example these two;
Religion sacrifices people for the good of the institution; relational life teaches people how to live together as Father's family.
Religion divides people by preference and perspective; relational life celebrates the incredible diversity in God's family.
Church history has a lot of stories of people booted out of the church (note the lowercase c ) for dumb reasons... Brother Andrew's suit coat was to fancy, Sister Mary never was able to cut that smoking habit, Cindy wanted to be an elder. That all Religion! Someone wasn't measuring up to the doctrinal list and had to be booted out the door. Not exactly the unity JC was talking about.

Now I will confess that for some time I equated "religion" with church. I thought that the only way to true "relationship" was outside the confines of the institutional church. But what I learned is that there is still a whole lot of religion going on in home churches! I often wish being a follower of Jesus was easier.. do I hear some Amens? Relationships are tough stuff. Why do you think so many marriages fail? Because loving someone warts and all is HARD. But the Lord requires us to love our brothers and sisters even the ones that tick us off.

How's that Anonymous? Did I answer your question? I could go on if you wish.

Yes Missy this is very Shackesque. I think there is some great stuff in that book! It has a lot of Wayne Jacobsen (Google him) like ideas it. Wayne is cool.

missy said...

Loved your response to anon. Wish we could chat someday, we seem to think a lot alike.

I'm really getting over religion and long to find a church that is too. I find myself feeling very out of place in many church scenarios but don't want to neglect fellowship and worship with other believers because of it.

Melodie said...

Good post Annee, and good response too, here in the comments. I was just going to say that part of it depends on what you are calling religion (kind what you already said). Because James does use the word religion: "Religion God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is to look after orphans and widows in their distress and keep ones self from being polluted by the world." So if THAT'S what religion is, then this whole post is pointless. But it seems that today religion has become something else, the thing that is described in the post.

Basically, one's focus should be strengthening the relationship, and obeying the Bible in order to do that. Not mechanically obeying all the commands (them being the focus), without any concern for the relationship.

Anonymous said...

Hey Annee. Sorry you don't appreciate the anonymous comments... I was not really seeking a textbook answer, although it is a good one. :-) I was just looking for where you are at with all that relationship stuff? Are you still fighting the good fight to work through the relationships JC has given you (even though religion might be looking pretty good at the time)? What are your current thoughts?
In love and humbleness, your anonymous.

Annee said...

Hey Anonymous,
Your latest comment leads me and the hubby to infer all sorts of things.. one of which is that you are local. Based on this assumption I am not going to engage in a discussion about relationships with you. In the words of my wise hubby it seems to circumvent all real relationship discussing this topic with someone who chooses not to reveal him/herself.

As far as you believing my answer to be "textbook" (I read canned) it is not. I only shared from my heart. I am really not sure what you are looking for? If you are wanting more specifics because of things you see in my life than send me an email, give me a call or invite me over for dinner and we can chat.

Sintari said...

I'm a bit late - trying to get caught up on my favorite blogs. Just wanted to say, I AGREE totally. For the last 20 years or so, I've been a member of a church that is religiously relaxed, and completely, utterly Christ-centered, and I LOVE the freedom, the acceptance, the love. :)