Thursday, May 22, 2008

Lives saved for $3,000,000

Last night while in bed my husband asks me "Do you think a few killdeer are worth $3,000,000?". I responded "Huh?". You see my husband is an engineer. He used to design bridges now he just manages bridge related projects. This week he is taking a class on value engineering. Don't ask me a whole lot about what it is he is learning. All I know is he and and team of other engineering types are looking at the plans for a bridge replacement and determining ways to save money. Apparently some environmental specialist have determined that in this one section of highway to many of these little guys are being smooshed.So in order to save these birdies the engineers had to make some modifications to their design. These modifications are have no engineering value. They are simply there for the killdeer. Now I am all for taking care of God's creation. But I struggle with this. I asked my hubby how the killdeer population was as a whole? He said it's fine. In fact on the rise.
Interesting priorities? The United States is incredibly blessed. Our standard of living is one of the highest in the world. We have so much that we just take for granted. Can you imagine what $3,000,00 would do for these guys?

No comments: