Last Sunday when I returned from the tattoo shop we had a surprise guest. A guy, from the local body of believers we fellowship with, had stopped by to return a book. This man happens to be, I'd guess, in his late fifties. He asked me if I had been out shopping. I laughed and told him that actually I just got a tattoo. He smiled and said "I never would have thought you would want tattoo." Then he shared how the times are changing because when he was young, women never got tattoos and the men that did were either in the military or convicts. In case you were worried I have no plans to enlist or to rob a bank.
So why did I do it if a life of crime or service to my country don't entice me? In college I thought about getting a tattoo. One of my closest friends was planning on getting one. Despite the fact I was tempted I couldn't do it. I was scared of the pain involved and I thought my parents would kill me. My friend ended up getting a flower on her ankle and I thought if I ever get a tattoo it will be of a flower too. Years past and I would think about getting a tattoo every once and awhile. The problem being my husband was majorly opposed to the whole idea. So usually I would mention it and he would roll his eyes and that would be the end of the conversation. 2008 rolls around and my desire for a tattoo increases. Now more and and more women have then. So I bring it up more often to the hubby. On a trip to the zoo I point out tattoos on half naked women and ask "What do you think?" Hoping that this will help him see that "normal" women have them. Eventually I succeeded in convincing my husband that perhaps a tattoo would not only be tolerable but "sexy". Since the husband's vehemence is reduced I take that as a "green light". By this point I have given much thought to the type of flower I would get. I figured out that I wanted a Forget Me Not. Because blue is my favorite color, they are pretty, and the Forget Me Not reminds me not to forget the poor and hurting in the world (especially in Liberia). As a bonus, as I was looking for a picture of a Forget Me Not to bring to the tattooist, I learned that in Victorian times they were a symbol of love and fidelity. So even thought the hubby was still a bit hesitant I like that significance.
So now that's kinda the basic story behind my tattoo. I know that Dan you are wanting more, you are thinking "But what was at the heart of your tattoo desire? So aside from the fact that I have just wanted one because I think some flower tattoo's are pretty.. there is rebellion. It was that hint a rebellion swirling beneath the surface that gave me that push to just do it. How's that for the truth? It's a bit of me saying I don't care about other people's opinions. OK, maybe that is a bit strong and I should say "I am not going to be ruled by others people's opinions". I still hope to be open and humble enough to hear people out but I now longer want to live in fear that I am not going to be accepted by my parents or siblings in Christ. The other day as I was reflecting on my fast approaching 31st birthday I was thinking that I am actually kind of excited. I know that I grew in some amazing ways spiritually in my 20's but I also know that there was a lot of people pleasing going on. I feel like God has been making me deal with some of my struggles in this area and I am hopeful that this will be on of the areas that will see growth in the next decade of my life. I want to become a women that is confident in her relationship in Christ. After all Papa is especially fond of me.. tattoo and all.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Thank you for sharing all that. I appreciate the frank response.
Here's a thought that popped into my mind. You can ponder and evaluate its truthiness:
The rebel (just as the conformist) is always ruled by other people's opinions.
Here's hoping for increasing disdain for the opinions of man, and increasing care for the opinion of He Who's Opinion Matters. (That desire is for all of us - not just you)
You made me realize that deep down part of my reason for wanting a tattoo is rebellion. I grew up a military brat, a pk and now am a military spouse.
You wouldn't believe the reaction I get to my peace symbol earrings that I wear on most days. I don't know why the idea of peace doesn't go over so well with military folk. I don't necessarily want to be associated with the likes of Jane Fonda or anything like that, but I am a daughter of the prince of peace afterall and although I am not opposed to war for the right reasons, I much prefer peace.
Don't really know how your tattoo post got me started on that, but oh well, thanks for the venue.
Love,
Missy
I'm a little late responding but I love your tattoo. I have a belly ring from when I was 20 or 21; can't remember the exact age. I love the meaning behind why you picked the the forget-me-knot flower. That is the state flower of Texas; at least it was way back when I lived there. Anyway, good on you for getting it. And I will pray that in your 30s you will be confident in your relationship in Christ and in yourself.
Love,
Erin
Post a Comment