Friday, July 11, 2008

Am I in "ministry"?

A reader, with a sweet last name, asked me if I was "in ministry". I have been thinking about this question off and on for the last few days. What exactly does it mean to be "in ministry"? I decided to consult good ol' Webster. Looking up ministry doesn't get me very far; the office, duties, or functions of a minister. Alrighty then, so on to minister. The noun form is too religious for my tastes; one officiating or assisting the officiant in church worship. I don't even think most people in the church define minister that narrowly. So what does the verb form have to say; to give aid or service. AH HA I like that one. When you ministers you give aid or service. Let's see, what do I do all day? I fix meals, and wipe butts, kiss booboos, break up fights and correct misbehaviors and instruct in the teachings of the Bible. I am a mom. I think I am "in ministry".

4 comments:

Bethany said...

I loved this post. I totally agree with you!

Michele said...

of course you are! :)

Anonymous said...

Amen!

And, thank you Mom's for your ministry. I'm always amazed, when I am put (by myself)in the role of Mom, at all you do.

missy said...

In ministry right there with ya sistah. If this ain't ministry, nothing is.

Love ya,
Missy